Thursday, January 20, 2011

Necessary Conditions to Effectively Leverage Technology for Learning

After reading the necessary conditions to essentially implement technology in the classroom, I think that in an IDEAL world all should be present. However, with budget cuts and the obvious realities of the Education crisis in public schools, technology has been put on the back burner. I also believe, that the idea of a SHARED VISION between all stakeholders is completely unrealistic. However, the bottom line should be that technology is our future and regardless of budget cuts and lack of school resources, a teacher can always find a way to use technology within his or her classroom to teach a lesson. I don't feel that a teacher necessarily needs a Smartboard to teach a lesson.

I feel lucky to have worked in a school that had support policies and external policies set in place to make sure the the students had the most when it came to technology in the classroom. All the classrooms had Smartboards and were also, most importantly, trained to use them. Each classroom also had at least two computers and a printer. In the third grade class I worked in, the teacher would have the students hand write their 1st and 2nd and then the final draft would be typed. The children were excited to type their work and because of how much use they had on the computer, their keyboarding skills seemed pretty advance.

I understand that most public schools in our district do not have smart boards or access to more advance mediums of technology; however, I think that even if these districts could fund one computer in each class it would make a huge difference. A lesson would be more interesting to students if a YouTube was shown or if a child was able to play an interactive online game. However, one step at a time is key when taking all of these conditions.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I particularly like your comment that "a teacher can always find a way to use technology within his or her classroom". I taught in a technologically bankrupt public high school last semester, and I felt bitter about that. My goal for myself during this class is to open my mind towards multiple ways of accessing technology in order to enrich teaching and learning for my students in the future - to embrace the possibilities rather than mourn what is missing. There is no getting around two facts: 1) the vast majority of students are more engaged by a technologically enhanced activity, and 2) technology is a huge part of our students' lives now and even more so of the future for which we are meant to be preparing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "However, the bottom line should be that technology is our future and regardless of budget cuts and lack of school resources, a teacher can always find a way to use technology within his or her classroom to teach a lesson. I don't feel that a teacher necessarily needs a Smartboard to teach a lesson. " I too agree with Nina- well said. You've spurred this daunting thought when you suggested that "technology has been put on the back burner" in that children are not getting the exposure and therefore the opportunities to take part in these virtual experiences but they are also getting fewer experiences to engage in physical activities as well. Kids can't get a hold of computers and their PE classes are getting stripped from schools throughout the years... What a terrible reality when these different fundamentals are disappearing with the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so wonderful that you worked at a school that had all these wonderful resources and I am fortunate to work at school with SmartBoards and computers in every classroom right now as well. Technology is something that these students are exposed to everyday so the fact that they are integrated into the classroom is another great way to keep the students interested in their own education.
    I do agree that there are other more important things that we should be focusing on rather than these technology conditions, but as technology grows and becomes more and more a part of our everyday lives the more and more we should use it in the classroom so our students are exposed to things they are going to be exposed to in their every day lives and in their future.
    If teachers utilize the SmartBoards, computers, and other technology such as YouTube and other helpful and educational websites to their advantage their lesson plans will become inspired and in turn inspire their students. Now if only all schools would be able to raise the money to get SmartBoards and computers in every classroom then that would be IDEAL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your statement that the standards are ideal, and don't reflect the realities of the current economic situation. I like the fact that you were able to utilize technology at the level you were teaching. It's good that third graders are learning keyboarding, since perhaps by the time they get to high school all classes will be on-line!!
    I personally love incorporating Youtube clips into my lectures, especially when I can demonstrate fun things like chemical reactions that make a bunch of noise or explode. Technology incorporation does not have to be expensive, it simply needs to be accessible and most of all, fun.

    ReplyDelete